On September 10, 2018, Town Council of the Town of Batesburg-Leesville adopted by ordinance a 2% tax on prepared food and beverages. The Local Hospitality Tax, or H-Tax, is intended to fund the operation and maintenance of current and future tourism related facilities, promote quality of life, tourism, recreation, and more. The ordinance was amended at the October 14, 2019 council meeting (amended Exhibit B). Specifically, Council will focus H-Tax dollars on:
- Revitalization and beautification of the Batesburg-Leesville Business Districts;
- Rehabilitation of the Haynes Auditorium and/or construction of a new theater;
- Improvements to Town of Batesburg-Leesville owned parks;
- Funding, marketing and promotion of Town sponsored events;
- Welcome signs, street signs and landscaping associated therewith;
- Purchase and renovation of a potential museum site;
- Revitalization of the old Burlington Mill site;
- Inclusion of a Visitor's Center at the Batesburg-Leesville Town Hall and improvements associated therewith.
The tax is imposed on all food and beverages prepared or modified within the town limits of Batesburg-Leesville and will be collected beginning January 1, 2019.
Local Hospitality Tax Resources for Businesses
Below are resources for businesses developed for the compliance and remittance of H-Tax funds. H-Tax remittances are due by the 20th of the following month. Failure to remit the Hospitality Tax on time will result in a 5% per month penalty. H-Tax funds are remitted directly to the Town.
Upcoming H-Tax Committee Meetings
No meetings scheduled at this time.
Additional Questions and Contact
Please direct all additional questions or correspondence to:
Martha Ann Lake
P.O. Box 2329
Batesburg-Leesville, SC 29070