The Batesburg-Leesville Fire Department is dedicated to providing top notch emergency services to the people of the Town of Batesburg-Leesville and the surrounding area. These services include fire suppression, vehicle extrication, medical first responder, basic hazardous materials (operations level) and other services. The B-L Fire Department also has a series of fire prevention programs designed to educate and inform residents of all ages on the dangers, causes, and prevention of fires. These programs include a puppet show and a fire safety house for children, and smoke alarms for families with small children and the elderly.
Although the B-L Fire Department is a department of the Town of Batesburg-Leesville, it also provides Automatic Aid to both Saluda and Lexington Counties and is part of the South Carolina Firefighter Mobilization program which allows departments to send and receive resources statewide based on need. The Department is also a member of the South Carolina Firefighter’s Association, International Association of Fire Chiefs (IAFC), National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), National Volunteer Fire Council (NFVC) and the Society for the Preservation and Appreciation of Antique Motor Fire Apparatus (SPAAMFAA).
The Town of Batesburg-Leesville was consolidated in 1992 from the merger of the Batesburg and Leesville Fire Departments. Formal consolidation occurred when Tommy Shealy was named the B-L Fire Chief in December 1994. The Batesburg Fire Department is believed to have been formed in 1908 thanks to a gift of equipment from the Middleburg Mill which had a fire company while the Leesville Fire Department was formed in 1926.
Today, the B-L Fire Department has four full-time employees and relies on the dedication of more than 30 volunteers.